Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Poker champ Sailor's Cap collapses and dies in stall


This is a breaking, and heartbreaking story, but Thoroughbred Daily News reports that Sailor's Cap, who only Sunday defeated Kip Deville in the Poker Stakes-G3 at Belmont Park, has collapsed in his stall and died.

Cause of death is not known.

"He spiked a temperature during the day on Tuesday and simply collapsed early in the morning," trainer Jimmy Toner told TDN. "We are all in complete shock over this turn of events."

The 4-year-old colt by Distant View out of the Caveat mare Wave On (pedigree) won last year's drenched Colonial Turf Cup-G3, as well (pictured), in a career that spanned 10 races and four victories, earning $616,970 for owners Team Valor International. He was bred in Kentucky by Wave On LLC, a Team Valor partnership.

I'm sure all involved are devastated, and as a new fan of the colt (hey, he beat my boy Kip, he earned his "props") they have my condolences.

2 comments:

  1. Very sad. Sounds like a Swale-like situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked when I read the title of this post. I couldn't believe it! Such a tragedy. My sypathies to the connections of this wonderful horse.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, including criticism and debate. But jerks and the vulgar will not be tolerated.

Thanks!